How to disassemble Venus vx8800?

Discussion in 'LG Legacy' started by 310somebody, Jun 19, 2008.

1. 310somebody

310somebody New Member

Can anyone please help me or show me how to disassemble a VX8800 Venus phone so I can replace the LCD on it? or can anyone direct me somewhere where they can helpl me? thanx.:thumb:
  2. oxphonez

oxphonez Moderator Moderator

maybe little help here :)

3. ccdalla

ccdalla New Member

Okay...I guess this thread is new enough to reply to usefully...

First off, a warning: No matter what the eBay auction says, there IS soldering required to replace your VX8800 display. True, it's not a large amount, but it is soldering, and what's more, it's VERY delicate soldering.

NOTE: I cannot stress enough how delicate the soldering involved here is. The material being soldered is incredibly delicate and the item being soldered is the microphone...I think you can all agree that a phone on which you can speak, but which has a gimpy display is more useful than a phone with no microphone. So, if you're not supremely confident in your soldering ability, then DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS REPAIR.

Tools needed:
    -Screwdriver for removal of all the necessary screws. On my phone, it's a #00 phillips head, but my impression is that newer VX8800's use Torx T6 head. Just to be safe, make sure you have both.
    -Soldering iron, preferably low-wattage.
    -Ideally, a plastic pry tool to remove the old display, but in a pinch, a very thin flat-head screwdriver will work.
    -A dental probe or sharp tweezers

To disassemble your phone:

1: Remove your SD card. This probably isn't really necessary, but it's easy, and why take chances?

2: Remove the battery cover and battery. Remove the 4 screws that were under the battery.

3: Remove the plugs in the lower corners of the back of the phone. Remove the two screws that were under them. NOTE: These two screws, as well as the four from step two, might or might not actually free themselves from the case. Mine didn't, and so I was able to just lift the back case and screws off all at once.

4: Disconnect the battery wires from the phone's PCB, noting the correct orientation of the connector. On my phone, it was blue wire towards the bottom of the phone, but don't take my word for it: That connector doesn't look polarized to me.

5: Slide the phone open. Remove the two little sticky pads in the upper corners. Remove the two screws underneath.

6: Lift out the phone PCB. Remove the four large diameter screws beneath. This should allow the two halves of the phone to separate.

7: Carefully orient the two halves of the phone to allow you to remove the four remaining screws that hold the front faceplate on. (I refer to these as the "large head diameter" screws)

8: Remove the front faceplate.

9: Reattach the 4 large head diamater screws. This isn't strictly necessary, but that mechanical assembly that makes the phone open and close as it does scares me. Best to have the phone mostly in one piece if possible.

10: You should now see the back of the display board. On my phone, there's a metal shield that covers most of the bottom 1/3, which has tabs that hold the shield in place when the faceplate is screwed on. Remove the shield (it's just held with a piece of tape at the top edge.

11: Disconnect the main connector at the top of the display board,

12: Here's the soldering part: Using a low-wattage soldering iron, carefully desolder the microphone from the bottom corner of the display board. On my phone, it's not attached with wires...instead, it's a flex PCB that's soldered directly to the display PCB. Flex PCB material melts easily, so be very careful.

13: Using the plastic pry tool (or the screwdriver, pry the old display out of the case. If you're using a screwdriver, be very careful: If you slip and scratch the back of the flexible face of the phone where it covers the lower display, you could easily damage the resistive touch sensor.

14: Put in the new display.

15: Carefully resolder the microphone.

16: Reconnect the main connector.

17: Replace the metal shield that you removed in step 10.

18: Put the faceplate back on.

19: Remove the 4 large head diameter screws, allowing you to position the phone halves such that you can replace the 4 ordinarily inaccessible screws that hold on the faceplate.

20: Replace the 4 large head diameter screws.

21: With the phone open, replace the 2 screws in the upper corners of the front half of the phone. Replace the sticky rubber pads that cover them.

22: Replace the main phone PCB, taking care to make sure that the side button PCBs line up correctly.

23: Reconnect the battery wires to the main phone PCB.

24: Replace the back cover, replace all 6 screws.

25: Replace the plugs that covered the 2 screws in the bottom corners.

26: Replace the battery, power up and test your phone. If it works, beautiful. If not, take it apart and try again.

Hope this helps...
  4. ccdalla

ccdalla New Member

A quick note- Just to make sure that the procedure I posted above was accurate, I decided to run through it with my own phone, and it's accurate, but I'm no longer convinced that the two wires that lead from the back housing of the phone to the main PCB are for the battery (in fact, I'm pretty sure that's not what they are). In any event, I'd still recommend making sure that you note the orientation of the connector before unplugging it.

Oh...and the bit about "I refer to these as the "large head diameter screws" should be on step number 6, not step number 7.

I'd have edited all this directly into my original post, but the forum software won't let me.

Edit: ...And if you're seeing ads in this post, I didn't put them there. Don't know 'em, can't vouch for 'em.