Galaxy S3 charging port repair

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Joeblinky, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Joeblinky

Joeblinky New Member

My wife has had a galaxy s3 for a long time. The USB charging port has not worked for a couple years. I decided to give it a shot (I just took calculus based physics 2 dealing with electricity which inspired me to set up my own electronics lab in my home).

I ordered a repair kit on amazon which came with everything.... except the separate bag they sent which was supposed to contain the new USB port itself... was emtpy. I discovered this of course after opening the phone and preparing to solder.

So I just applied some solder to the port already there (since I had it open already). I noticed my soldering iron doesn't have a super fine point so I just applied it to all the pins and stroked down, then desoldered the solder that was left on my iron. I did this several times until the ports seemed to be disconnected from each other but still connected the pins to the pads.

I put the phone back together and voila! When I plug in the phone it says charging!!!! Except.... it seems to lose charge when plugged in.

Anyone have this problem before? I am guessing maybe it has something to do with data pins connecting but not the power? Or maybe 2 of the pins were actually still touching even though I didn't really see it?

Just looking for advice on it, on a side note I am also curious if there is a special way to solder on a pin level like this? Are there super fine tipped soldering guns and some sort of solder that beads up smaller?

2. jr7gonzalez

jr7gonzalez New Member

A mi me pasaba un caso similar con un s4 koreano.. mostraba cargando pero no lo hacia.. simplemente cambie a una bateria original de samsung y funciono normal

3. berkat cell

berkat cell Moderator Moderator

samsung galaxy s3 charging port repair